Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Hating Game by Talli Roland

 

Talli Roland is a very enterprising young woman that totally understands the importance of publicity. She obviously realises that it is just not enough in the competitive world of publishing to sit back on your laurels and think how well you have done to get a book published! No this young lady has gone out of her way to promote her first novel ‘The Hating Game’, for this alone I hope it succeeds. She writes a blog called Talli Roland is a Goodreads author has a Facebook Page and is  also to be found on Twitter, which are all great ways for this first time novelist to get her name recognised.

The Hating Game will be released on Amazon as an eBook on December 1st, today in fact, with the paperback version due out in March of next year. I was lucky enough to be sent an advance review copy of the novel in eBook form. I may be wrong about this but from just looking at the brightly coloured cover I got the feeling that this novel is directed at a much younger market than the one I am part of. I know we should never judge a book by the cover, but in this case I think the cover will stand out on the bookshelves and catch the eye of those ‘young’ women looking for something to read that is both modern and romantic.

Lets face facts, reality game shows are a 21st century phenomenon very much loved by the younger generation so the books subject matter will also attract the attention of potential readers. Personally I am not a fan of this sort of television show but I know many people that are, including my younger daughter who is also not much of a book reader as few novels catch her interest. However I think she would enjoy this because it is about something that she will feel she can relate to. This is part of a large problem with writing a novel, is there a market to read this story. I think Talli has a potential winner with her choice as within its genre she has written a sparkly lively modern novel that will appeal to many.

Mattie Johns the protagonist runs a media recruitment company and is a young woman that comes over as somewhat brash, hardened against life and love, always determined to have the last word. Her business is in trouble so she jumps at the opportunity to win a large cash prize in exchange for appearing on a dating game show. It does not turn out to be the easy money making deal she had hoped for when it is revealed that the dates are actually ex boyfriends!

Although the the story of her endeavours to win the money are both amusing and and at times emotional you will also learn of the ugly side of reality television. Programme ratings are what motivate the producers of this programme with absolutely no concern what so ever for the feelings of the contestants. One hopes that in real life it would never go this far, but I suppose one can never be sure. How far is that? What is it that happens? Does it all end happily?

All questions that will be answered if you read this cleverly written witty debut from new young talent Talli Roland. I will certainly be recommending ‘The Hating Game’ to any one who likes modern romance young or old, despite my earlier comments as I do not want to suggest it is only for the young, it is also for the young at heart. An entertaining read then with an extra little touch that I found amusing are the chapter headings of quirky facts about relationships.

Talli Roland

I am helping the publicity drive for The Hating Game by taking part in a campaign to spread the word today, publication day for the eBook version.

You can help Talli Roland's debut novel The Hating Game hit the Kindle bestseller list at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk by spreading the word today. Even a few sales in a short period of time on Amazon helps push the book up the rankings, making it more visible to other readers.

Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/hNBkJk

Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/hX2ieD

More details about what is happening today can be found here The Hating Game - Take on Amazon Splash


No Kindle? Download a free app at Amazon for Mac, iPhone, PC, Android and more. Coming soon in paperback. Keep up with the latest at Talli Roland - Official Website

8 comments:

  1. It has been a busy and exciting day for Talli today, Lindy! :) The book is now in the Top 100 on Amazon UK :) So happy and thrilled for Talli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to keep this in mind when I am done with a few others that I bought recently. I do love e-books. I did not think I would, but they are instant gratification. I get to start reading right away, and any time I have my iPad or iPhone with me.

    I still love "real" books though. Nothing can REALLY take the place of the smell, touch, and feeling of the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pick such interesting books to review. I am so loving following your blog. It'll be interesting to see if more authors start to promote their books in more and more original ways, with the growth of blogland that should be possible, I think.

    It'll be exciting to watch!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my book! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to make it over here to say that, but I did read it yesterday and was chuffed by your kind and through review. I really appreciate your help and support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Len - Talli certainly deserves for The Hating Game to be a success.

    Kimberly - Welcome as my latest follower, it is great to see you over here. There is definitely a place for eBooks in my life when I am travelling but like you I would never ever stop loving 'real' books.

    Sarah - Thankyou, I have a very eclectic taste. Yes I think authors are going to need to learn the art of PR, publishing is a tough world. I am happy to be a reader not a writer.

    Talli - It was a fun read so I was delighted to do so and you deserve for 'The Hating Game' to be successful. I am already looking forward to reading your next novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But I do quite often come back to see your posts twice so I did see this answer to me from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lindy,

    The Hating Game sounds like an excellent read. I can't wait to get started on it, after reading your review :-)
    What a brilliant PR idea Talli had to promote her book!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne@ It certainly is and Talli did work very hard with her promotion.

    ReplyDelete

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.