Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Space Between by Rachel Billington

Click to view large image of cover in new window...Escapism and readable but did not leave a great impression on me. 
The heroine of this love story with the touch of a thriller has way too many complications in her life for it to be totally realistic, which is exactly why I label it escapism. So much happens to Alice in a relatively short time that when the end arrived it was actually a relief and I have to say in the end, no real surprise. For me slightly fewer coincidences would have made it more enjoyable.

Alice is at a turning point in her life when after three years as a young widow she finds her safe routine world turned upside down by a sudden influx of unexpected occurrences. Unlikely lovers declaring themselves and a mysterious woman make her busy life as a journalist all the more confusing. That is without coping with the expectations of a daughter who assumes that Alice’s life revolves around her grandchild and a somewhat difficult elderly father.

I have read other novels by this author but the last one was over ten years ago and I thought she was an author I enjoyed, which was the reason I obtained this copy. Either my tastes have changed or this is not up to her usual standard. One of my favourites was ‘A Womans Age which was a bestseller twenty years ago.

If you enjoy this genre give her novels a try, but do not be put off by this one as I do not think it is the best example of her work.


I visited Rachel Billingtons website and was very surprised in what she had to say herself about this novel being a comedy, which I have reproduced below.
http://www.rachelbillington.com/

Too many of my friends have become widows. Their sadness is mitigated by an intense urge to carry on with a full life. I admire their courage enormously. In The Space Between Alice Lightfoot is widowed very young – in her early forties, although she’s already been made a grandmother by her rebellious teenage daughter. I wanted to write a book about a woman starting again, looking for a new life and a new love. It turned out to be more of a comedy than I expected as lovers presented themselves in perhaps slightly unlikely numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.