Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Perfection by Julie Metz

 

                            

 

  • Paperback: 342 pages
  • Genre: Memoir
  • Publisher: Voice 2009
  • Source: Purchased Oxfam Bookshop in UK
  • Review Quote: ‘A visual standout, Metz brings refreshing candour to a startling painful tale.’

 

I have absolutely no idea why this book has so many good reviews, mind you it does seem to have lots of bad ones as well. Maybe if I had read them first I would not have bothered with this tedious, dull read.

I knew it was going to be a memoir about a young woman trying to put her life back together when her husband unexpectedly dies of a heart attack. I also knew that she was going to discover that he had been unfaithful to her, fair enough and very sad, but she carries out a campaign to contact all the women he has been unfaithful with. I just found it difficult to understand why anyone would want to cause themselves such pain, let alone share it with the rest of the world by publishing this memoir!

Perfection is the story of Julie Metz’s personal journey through the chaos of her husbands death and infidelities. She recounts coming to terms  with the painful truths, building a life for herself and her young daughter after widowhood and betrayal. Happiness seems to have been found by her if not ‘Perfection’ 

Maybe she found it cathartic to write this but I certainly did not enjoy reading about the sham of her marriage as she bravely exposes herself to the full glare of the public.  You might have done, do let me know.

Julie Metz

Julie MetzIs a writer, graphic designer, and artist. In addition to Perfection she has written essays and commentary for publications including The New York Times and Glamour  She lives in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Biographical Information is courtesy of the following websites

Julie Metz - Perfection

Julie Metz - Facebook

Perfection by Julie Metz

voicevoices

You may also be interested in this conversation with Julie Metz.

A Conversation with Julie Metz

voicevoices

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lot of wasted energy to me. I *so* would not have done that....they do not deserve that much power if you ask me....just my honest opinion....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricki@ Each to their own I suppose but I certainly would not have wanted to expose my private life in such a way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like not my kind of read.. Reminds me of my disappointment with Eat Pray love..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of memoir. But, if you are interested in reading a gorgeously written, insightful and tender memoir about a woman coming to terms with the unexpected death of her husband, I highly recommend A Widow's Story by Joyce Carol Oates. I can't remember the last time I read writing as lyrical, poetic and eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jyoti@ Interesting you should mention Eat Pray Love in comparison as I felt the same :)

    Pam@ Thanks for the recommendation, will add to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte's Web@ it was disappointing :(

    ReplyDelete

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.